For 100 years, the English-Speaking Union has been promoting better communication between people of all cultures and countries. Today our focus is on equipping young people with the oracy skills and confidence to discuss their ideas and share them with others.
Our life-changing work is made possible by the support of our members and donors.
Last year we:
- Developed the oracy skills of over 7,000 young people in England and Wales
- Reached over 600,000 young people in over 50 countries via the International Public Speaking Competition
- Improved the oracy skills of 1,770 primary school students in disadvantaged areas with our Discover Debating programme
- Awarded 34 scholarships across our Secondary School Exchange and professional development programmes
- Welcomed 150 students to Debate Academy, with 45 per cent of them receiving bursaries
- Provided 75 per cent of all competitive debating in rural England